SGA To Host Co-Founder of Black Voters Matter Fund

[Garden City, KS] Jan. 7, 2020 — The Student Government Association at Garden City Community College will be hosting an award-winning artist and activist, LaTosha Brown, on Monday, Jan. 20, 2020, in recognition of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
An in-demand public speaker, jazz singer, and fellow from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Brown has distinguished herself as a trusted expert on political strategy, organizing, civil rights, and rural issues over a 20-year-long career.
SGA President Colton Bartlett said Brown was specifically chosen by the student council to speak at GCCC because she has powerful messages that he believes will resonate with many students on campus and the community at large.
“We were looking for a speaker with a diverse background who was fun, informal, and passionate,” Bartlett said. “She seems like she’ll be interactive with our audience and represent and advocate for many of them.”
Brown and her Black Voters Matter Fund partners often travel through the southern United States and key swing states on what they call “The Blackest Bus in America” to galvanize voters and stop voter suppression.
Her talk at GCCC is entitled “Building the Beloved Community: Where Do We Go from Here?” and will cover her work and dedication to community organizing and civic engagement.
The MLK day program begins at 10:30 a.m. inside the Dennis Perryman Athletic Complex on the GCCC campus and is free and open to the public.
Additional biographical information about our speaker and higher-quality images are available to the press upon request.
Garden City Community College exists to produce positive contributors to the economic and social well-being of society.

https://www.gcccks.edu/news/mlk_day_speaker.aspx