Food In The Dirty G

Caleb Metzen, Staff

As the first month of the 2022-2023 academic school year at GCCC concludes, students may begin to lose their sweet tooth to the traditional cafeteria food. If you fall into this group of students and have a couple of dollars to eat out with then this article is the article for you. As a Garden City native who has seen restaurants come and leave town over the years, here are some spots only in GC that I believe fellow college students would enjoy the most.  

Traditions Soda and Sandwich Shop 

This fifties-themed diner located in the downtown streets of Garden City is perfect for a variety of cheap and savory sandwiches. With its food offerings and recreated 1950s atmosphere, this retro restaurant transports you back in time. A Reuben, hamburger, or corned beef sandwich should definitely be on your list to try. The birthday cake milkshake is one of many people’s favorites for dessert. Visitors are drawn in by Traditions Soda and Sandwich Shop’s nostalgia, and the great food keeps them coming back. Traditions Soda and Sandwich Shop is located at 121 W Grant Ave. 

Planks Barbecue  

Your best bet in Garden City for delicious barbecue food is Plank’s. Due to its generous helpings and tasty ingredients, Plank’s tangy ribs and brisket are a customer favorite. Students will also find this a suitable place because of the kind and swift service. Try the onion rings, pulled pork, hot links, and ribs that fall off the bone. Visit Plank’s at 912 E. Fulton, if you are in the mood for some sweet and smoky barbecue. 

Casa Mariachis  

One of the top restaurants in Garden City is Casa Mariachi Mexican Restaurant, which offers a genuine spin on classic Mexican cuisine. Start with their delicious salsa and queso dip as an appetizer. The chimichangas and the extensive selection of Fajitas are two of the most popular dishes among the many well-known options. If you want a simple taco dish, Las Margaritas offers mouthwatering, authentic tacos that any fan of Mexican cuisine would enjoy. Casa Mariachis is welcoming to all fans of Mexican cuisine and offers vegetarian options as well. Visit Casa Mariachis if you are seeking a neighborhood restaurant with a lively ambiance and excellent Mexican food at 125 W Pine St.  

Pho Hao One Vietnamese Restaurant 

Students who love Vietnamese cuisine will not be disappointed at Pho Hao One Vietnamese Restaurant. With vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options on a great menu, Pho Hao One is one of the top Asian restaurants in all of Kansas. With plenty of authentic Vietnamese dishes on the menu, it is one of Garden City’s locals’ favorite spots. Try a variety of pho selections, including fresh pork chops with rice and chicken with crispy noodles. Try the spring rolls as a starter as well.  If you are craving Vietnamese food, head to 713 E Fulton St Ste 3.