The Never Ending Puzzle

The Never Ending Puzzle

Feature of Sara Gaul and the GCCC Cadaver Lab.

Did you know Garden City Community College is one of three community colleges that have access to a cadaver lab? The cadaver lab is a laboratory where students get to have hands-on training and a full visual of what they are learning about in the anatomy class by dissecting the human body. The human body is a miracle and a complex yet organized machine that works nonstop to keep people alive. Sara Gaul, an anatomy professor at GCCC emphasizes the complexity of the human body. 

“We idolize people for their accomplishments or creations like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, but we as a society cannot agree on who created a human, such a phenomenon, it is one of the most flawless and forgiving machines that I’ve ever witnessed.” 

Gaul has had tons of experience in the hospital apart from teaching: she has experience with cardiology, pulmonology, plastic surgery, diabetes, radiation oncology, healthcare-based entrepreneurship, investing, and autopsies. Gaul has witnessed different surgeries, was a visitor to cadaver labs, and now runs her cadaver lab. She believes there is something special about cadavers rather than beautifully illustrated images and simulations of the human body for an anatomy class. Gaul emphasized, 

“I have never looked at two bodies that are the same, just like our faces look different, the insides of their bodies look different.” This is because people have different lifestyles, make different choices, and have different genetics. It is fascinating for students to get to see up close that no two people are the same, inside or out. 

The cadaver labs are a benefit to students education-wise, but also a benefit to society. “It is the ultimate contribution to society, they are continuing to be a teacher or utilize their life for educational purposes long after their soul has left.” Gaul said. The cadavers give students the opportunities to potentially create new medicines, surgery techniques, and other ways of improving the human body for others who are living. The University of Kansas, which GCCC works for in the lab, has a willed body program online that Gaul has attached to her student’s classes for people interested in donating to the education. Gaul, a donor, said, “I don’t have any use for this, if I can continue to teach people and they can come up with a cure, or somebody is a better doctor because of it, yes please.”  The cadavers donate their most valuable part of themselves for nearly zero cost knowing they could potentially be saving future lives. Terry Lee started the GCCC program and with perseverance and follow-up, cadaver labs became an opportunity for students.

Today, Gaul does autopsies at St. Catherine Hospital apart from teaching and has seen various cases. Gaul said, “I have seen broken vertebrates, completely clogged arteries, calcified aortas, to polycystic kidney disease, you just see everything and it is cool to see the story that it tells.” An autopsy is a medical examination of the human body after a questionable death. Students at GCCC have the opportunity to witness and work with different cadavers that tell different stories to give them more experience for their future occupations. 

Students at GCCC study their bodies for over four months and document everything they do each day in the cadaver lab; this helps them to recall things they’ve seen so they don’t forget. The students are participating in a very in-depth autopsy and getting to go through the body layer by layer. Gaul, being a part of both worlds, finds it very fascinating getting to see in-depth autopsies because the autopsies at the hospital are primarily organ-focused.

“We are going through skin, fat, muscles, and bones.” Gaul said. The students are partaking in one of the most vulnerable and in-depth autopsies they might ever experience. 

Overall, students at GCCC who want to study the human body have access to the most beneficial tool. The cadaver lab is a unique way for students to learn and have hands-on practice with the makeup and functions of a real human body. The opportunities at GCCC are endless and for students studying human anatomy, it does not end with corpses. 

“I go to medical museums to look at stuff and see what they have that is fascinating, and this college has better specimens than some of the museums I have been to.” Gaul said. These specimens are parts people have pulled out that are fascinating. Here at GCCC, they have a spinal cord with every nerve coming off of it and they get to keep it for future classes. These specimens found in the cadaver labs are used in the anatomy classes apart from cadaver labs as well to help the students gain visuals. The human body puts up with a lot and is incredibly amazing, and the people involved in exploring it are in for a never-ending puzzle.

View Comments (41)