Student Highlight- Emily Glenn

From left to right in the first one: Amber Oerly, Shyanne Jones, Zoe Schultz, and Emily Glenn. Photo Taken by Leigh Ann Maurath

Rilee Harris, Staff

The Kansas Farm Bureau Collegiate Fellows program allows future leaders the opportunity to develop their skills and learn firsthand about the Farm Bureau policy. The fellows will dedicate a few hours of their time each moth during the school year to this program and in return they attain valuable skills, connections to prepare them for success in their future education, and future career and continue Farm Bureau involvement. 

The Kansas Farm Bureau Collegiate Fellows program recently selected four collegiate fellows from across the state for the 2019 – 2020 school year. The current class includes Shyanne Jones of Labette County, Amber Oerly from Boonville Mo, Zoe Schultz of Gove County and Garden City Community Colleges own Emily Glenn from Scott County. 

“After being selected for the collegiate fellows we attended a two-day orientation up in Manhattan, Kansas.” Emily Glenn, a fellow student at Garden City Community College and fellow Collegiate Fellows member, said. “During the orientation a person from each sector of Farm Bureau came and talked to us. It just got us more familiar with Farm Bureau. We also did different leadership activities during the orientation. So, we would do a leadership activity and then pause and listen to a guest speaker”

While the orientation may be done there is still work and planning the girls need to do. 

“The four of us have to come up with a project to do.” Glenn said. “We can do anything we want but it needs to benefit or get Collegiate Farm Bureau more involved with Kansas Farm Bureau and our culture as a whole in Kansas.” 

While Glenn is currently involved in meats team, media, PTK, and an officer at SGA at the college she hopes to one day be an Ag. teacher or an extension agent. 

“I want to be an Ag. teacher or an extension agent.” Glenn said. “So, I would be working with high school students and advise FFA as an Ag. teacher. Every county has an extension agent and I would be the Ag. agent and so the community could come to me for any questions and I would hold Ag. programs in the community so like different lessons and then I would also be the 4-H agent depending on what area I end up in.”

This opportunity is a great one for the girls involved and will hopefully give them many skills to help them with their future goals and careers.